Nunes Demands Answers from Senior Obama Officials on Steele Dossier
- House Intelligence Committee sent letters asking former senior Obama administration officials regarding their knowledge of the dossier
- Chairman Devin Nunes wants to know if former President Obama was briefed on the dossier's contents before Jan. 5, 2017
- The committee also wants to know if any senior Obama administration officials leaked the information in the dossier to reporters or media representatives
The Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee sent numerous letters Tuesday to former high-ranking Obama administration officials demanding full disclosure of their knowledge of the controversial and unverified dossier that sparked the investigation into allegations alleging collusion between President Trump’s campaign and Russia in the 2016 presidential elections, according to a letter obtained by this reporter.
Chairman Devin Nunes, R- CA, did not disclose which senior members of the Obama administration received the letters but asked that all questions be answered by March 2, 2018. More importantly, the letter specifically asks if then President Obama was made aware of the contents of the dossier prior to Jan. 5, 2017 and whether or not any officials leaked the contents of the dossier to reporters or media representatives.
“Enclosed please find a series of questions regarding the information contained in the Steele dossier, which was funded by the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and the Hillary for America (Clinton Campaign) and used in the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) application targeting Carter Page,” the Nunes letter states.
There are ten questions attached to the letters (download letter page one | page two) that range from when the officials first became aware of the contents contained in the dossier and what they did with the information once they were made aware of it.
- When and how did you first become aware of any of the information contained in the Steele dossier?
- In what form (s) was the information in the Steele dossier presented to you? By whom? (please describe each instance)
- Who did you share this information with? When? (Please describe each instance)
- What official actions did you take as a result of receiving the information contained in the Steele Dossier?
- Did you convene any meetings with the intelligence community and/or law enforcement communities as a result of the information contained in the Steele dossier?
- When did you first learn or come to believe that the Steele dossier was funded by a Democrat-aligned entity?
- When did you first learn or come to believe that the Steele dossier was funded by the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and or Hillary for America (Clinton Campaign)?
- When did you first become aware that the Steele dossier was used to obtain a FISA order on Carter Page?
- Was President Obama briefed on any information contained in the dossier prior to January 5, 2017?
- Did you discuss the information contained in the Steele dossier with any reporters or other representatives of the media? If so, who and when?