Mark Steyn: Liberal Policies And The Bankruptcy Of Detroit
|Slums of Detroit|
'What happened here is the parasite outgrew its host'
Beyond the fact that Detroit has listed in their bankruptcy filing that there are thousands of properties that should be demolished, but the city has no funds to demolish them, here is what the Michigan of Governor has stated:
Inability to meet obligations to its citizens
- · The cities unemployment rate has nearly tripled since 2000.
- · Detroit’s homicide rate is at the highest level in nearly 40 years and it has been named as one of America’s most dangerous cities for more than 20 years.
- · Its citizens wait on an average of 58 minutes for the police to respond to their calls compared to a national average of 11 minutes.
- · Only 8.7% of crime cases are solved.
- · The cities police cars, fire trucks and ambulances are so old that breakdowns make it impossible to keep up the fleet. For instance, only one third of the cities ambulances were in service the first quarter of 2013.
- · Similarly, approximately 40% of the city’s street lights were not functioning.
“Obama doesn’t care. Like all members of the ruling class, he’s decided to live as far away as he can from the consequences of liberal policies. So it’s easy to write off Detroit. He’s not going to go to Detroit; he’s not going to go to Detroit. He wouldn’t care if the last seven businesses in Detroit fled through the tunnel to Windsor Ontario, he doesn’t care. “